Finding an IP address

Dinkiz 17:55 22 Jan 04

Hi All,

Can any of youout there tell me how I can locate someones IP address? Can I do it by their email for example?

Many thanks,
Dinkiz

spikeychris 17:58 22 Jan 04

Can you not ask them? murky water....

Chegs ® 18:04 22 Jan 04

Yes,if you look at the properties of their email,it will give you their IP address,and a whole host of other info.

Dinkiz 18:12 22 Jan 04

Cheers for info guys. Answered really quickly.

Nice One

spikeychris 18:51 22 Jan 04

There is no way on gods green earth that an email will display an IP address.

Chegs ® 19:48 22 Jan 04

"There is no way on gods green earth that an email will display an IP address."

I wasn't going to argue,but I had a look at the properties of several emails I have recieved in my OE before I posted the reply above,and if you click the "Properties/Details/Message Source" button,there is a mass of info.I then sent myself an email from OE to my OE addy,and when I looked thru its Message Source details,my IP address was there,along with LocalHost,Mail Server's IP(I think it is)and a few other IP addresses,time it was sent,etc.Things get rather complicated if its a web based email(Hotmail/Yahoo,etc)but these are also traceable,if only to which ISP's been used(but I'm not fully clued up on tracing info from web based mail)I remember a while back,a forum member was getting abusive emails from another forum user,and although the abuser tried to hide their details(dunno howto do this either)the chap who had received these lousy mails managed to find out a fair bit about the abuser.

spikeychris 21:35 22 Jan 04

every now and then we have to eat humble pie and tonight its my turn. What has really annoyed me is I have done a shed load of research on this for a LONG time for research on how to access a protected system. I know EVERY way of grabbing an IP from reverse lookup to netstat and was convinced you couldn't grab an IP from an email address (have to say I just assumed.)

Have to go, the timer in the oven has just gone off............my pies ready.......

Chegs ® 21:53 22 Jan 04

I am interested in such things too,but I get bored reading text (thats why I couldn't get on with Linux,as I had to read up howto make it do something,then type the instructions to the OS)so just decided to have a poke about in various files/folders(and emails)

Hope the pies nice. :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…