FINDING FDISK TO PARTITION AND FORMAT NEW HDD

BESTONIAN 12:27 15 Jul 03

EVERY TIME I TRY TO ACCESS FDISK I AM
GETTING THE MESSAGE "BAD COMMAND OR FILE NAME.I USED A NEW ME STARTUP FLOPPY TO GET TO THE A PROMPT AND WHEN I TRY TO ACCESS FDISK I AM GETTING THE SAME MESSAGE.I ALSO USED MY RESTORE FLOPPY TO GET THE A PROMPT,WITHOUT SUCCESS.I CANNOT PARTITION AND FORMAT THE NEW HDD

I HAVE UPDATED MY PC WITH THE FOLLOWING
MS 6570 MOTHERBOARD
XP 2200 CPU
MAXTOR DIAMOND PLUS8 HDD

Megatyte 12:35 15 Jul 03

What exactly are you typing at the A:\ prompt?

AH

jbaker65 12:41 15 Jul 03

Hi, when you get your A prompt, type dir and press enter. This will list the programs on your start up disc. If Fdisc is missing you will have to copy it from another source. I would think a friend with a computer could do this for you. John.

BillEmm 12:41 15 Jul 03

Are you sure you have FDISK on your floppy?

Check it in Windows Explorer.

Bill

King Diamond 15:00 16 Jul 03

What OS are you using? If it's XP...

If you have an NTFS filing system, then the command FDISK won't work as it's a FAT32 command. You would have to put your XP disc into the cdrom and go through the format that way.

I maybe wrong, but correct me if I am.

goonerbill 18:12 16 Jul 03

if ya using winXP, ya need to boot from cd and format the drive that way, it should have instructions on screen.

winME dont have fdisk on it

win98 has fdisk
ya need to be in dos and type in the command from the dos prompt a:cd\e (or what ever the letter to ya cd/dvd drive is)
cd\win98
then type fdisk d: (if D is the letter of ya new drive or what ever it has been assigned by windows)

then follow the instructions on screen and ya should get the drive sorted ready to format.

woodchip 18:15 16 Jul 03

for a boot up disc go click here

goonerbill 18:15 16 Jul 03

sorry, dos prompt will only be a:\ if ya used a boot disk. if ya gone into dos from the bootup screen it will be c:\

Megatyte 18:20 16 Jul 03

WinME DOES have Fdisk.

AH

keith-236785 18:25 16 Jul 03

Heres what to do to get FDISK

put the startup disk in the floppy drive

restart your system

when the computer boots up you will see a menu

choose option 2.

wait, it will load a virtual drive (normally D:) if you only have 1 hard drive/partition, It will tell you anyway.

presuming it is D:

type at the prompt A:>

d: + press enter

this will change the prompt to D:>

type fdisk +press enter

good luck

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…