Finding & Configuring COM Ports?

dublincity 01:41 14 Jun 05

I've now got three OS's on my PC - XP Pro (twice) on separate partitions and Linux Suse 9.2 on a hidden partition.

Only the original OS (XP Pro) recognises the modem. On this good system it's labelled as being with Port Com 3. On the other XP Pro OS, it's marked as being allocated to Port Com 1 but not present. I installed the modem driver but that didn't made any difference.

The Suse has only just been installed so I don't know anything about it except that it said that it couldn't detect any modem.

Can anyone help? Thanks.

lotvic 23:17 14 Jun 05

not sure what it is you are asking? Are you just wanting to know how to change 'allocated to Port Com 1' so that it becomes allocated to Port Com 3 on the other XP Pro OS?

dublincity 23:30 14 Jun 05

Thanks - lotvic. I guess that's the question I'm asking. I don't understand much about COM ports apart from what I've read by googling. I suppose I could have asked, "Does anybody know how I can get the 2nd OS to detect the modem?" I'd used the 'search for new hardware' wizard without success.

dublincity 04:11 15 Jun 05

I don't know exactly what I did. I re-allocated the Intel modem to COM 3 but that didn't (immediately) make a difference. I then removed the other items in the list, including one for an external modem that I'd tried. That worked and I'm now online.

A notice about incorrect protocol settings pops up and OE & IE try to connect via some WAN Miniport(PPPOE) dial-up. I don't know what that is but I'm sure I don't need it.

I don't yet know if Linux Suse (the 3rd OS on the PC) will connect to the internet - I'm running a different thread about that. Cheers.

octal 06:11 15 Jun 05

If its been fixed, would you mind putting a green tick against the post by clicking on resolved please. You have quite a few threads running so it will help identify which threads you're finished with.

Thanks.

dublincity 06:35 15 Jun 05

Thank You, All

lotvic 02:08 16 Jun 05

glad it's sorted :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…