find out my kids password

raggy 2 09:56 23 May 06

is it possible to find out the password for my kids e mail address ( i know some of you will think this is wrong but if your a parent you'll understand)

mammak 10:02 23 May 06

Well I am a parent I have control over my nine year olds Internet usage email ect but my other two are grown ups now and i would'nt dream of accessing their email so it would largely depend on what ages they are and why you would need their passwords?

Taff™ 10:12 23 May 06

It depends on how they access e-mail - Using an e-mail client such as Outlook or web based mail such as Hotmail.

I agree with mammak though, this is a tricky one because I`m sure they would find out and then you`ve lost their trust. Suggest you discuss the issue with them first.

john-232317 13:26 23 May 06

I go with mammak and taff on this, just ask why they need a password on it ?

the pie eater 15:58 23 May 06

Join msn for 60 quid a year i have full control over where they surf, what they surf or down load, i get a full report of what they have been doing on the net. who they chat to in msn and i can block anyone who seems a little strange. you can also see who they are mailing and who is maling them but you cant read the mails of i think is only right

Forum Editor 00:45 24 May 06

To a degree you're right, but.......

There's a big issue of trust and confidence here. What you're suggesting is the same as opening your child's personal letters, and under normal circumstances I'm sure you'll agree that no responsible, loving parent would dream of doing such a thing. If you have a specific suspicion that something's wrong then there might be some justification, but you'll be on thin ice - a child's trust, once lost, is hard to recover, and emails between children are as private and personal as emails between adults.

None of that is in any way intended to comment on your parenting policy - that's entirely your own affair - but if you have concerns perhaps a chat with the child first might be an idea?

Starfox 00:57 24 May 06

A few years ago my cousin was suspicious of what his twelve year old daughter was up to on her pc and did a bit of snooping, daughter found out somehow and it caused a big rift in the family. The relationship between father and daughter deteriorated to the point where they were not speaking to each other and mother was caught in the middle and suffered terribly.

I would advise you to think very carefully the consequences of any actions you may be contemplating and ask yourself *is it worth it*.
My cousins suspicions were unfounded by the way, so all the trouble was for nothing.

Lazzer 04:23 24 May 06

You would presume that the poster of this topic had a specific reason as to why they would want to access the email address in concern.
This is a PC help room, i dont think it is right for anyone to ask why they would need it, or to chat to their kids first.
Just help the poster out, it is after all their business not ours.
Im not taking sides or anything but it just seems with all good intention set aside that it isnt really appropriate to ask why or really question the posters integrity.
Not trying to get personal or anything chaps but it seems a bit much for what really should be a simple answer if you can help the poster

the pie eater 05:22 24 May 06

I do agree with it, you should not read kids e-mails but like i said it's nice to know they can surf save and of course it all goes on age how old are children??? with msn there are age ranges that you can set, young, teens, and adult, i like to know my kids are safe

ACOLYTE 12:29 24 May 06

BT has good child security,once a month i get an email with my son's email/internet/messenger activity in it,no specific's just what sites he has been to and who he has sent emails and recieved them from,if i see anything i dont like i have a word,but as of yet i have had no reason to.

Cesare 14:09 24 May 06

raggy2 Go to click here or click here. That's all you will need !

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…