Find if an e-mail address exists

VoG™ 23:29 13 May 03

Hello forum!

Is there a way to tell if an e-mail address exists without actually sending an e-mail?

Reason - been trying to contact various Eastern European government departments (environmental type) and keep getting bounces.

I'm trying to send them a questionnaire and I don't want to irritate them further by asking "do you exist?" before sending to them.

woodchip 23:40 13 May 03

If it's being bounced the it's the mechanical side that's doing it, not a real person. I only think it's only possible to check if you received a e-mail

DieSse 23:51 13 May 03

I understand what you want, but why?

If the email doesn't get bounced, then it's gotten somewhere - if it does, it hasn't. Even if you knew for sure that an email existed - then the most you could do is send an email - and you can do that anyway!!

In instances like this, you could ask for a "read receipt", or try one of the "email has been downloaded" services.

Alternatively find a listed email for info on the "official" site, and ask for their cooperation in identifying who to send to. Then you could legitimately say you have been given their name as the correct department to answer your questionnaire. If you phrase it all correctly, you could almost make your questionnaire seem officially approved.

Or, how about approaching the UK gov, and asking for contacts to send your survey to? - once again, careful wording could be a big help.

barryoneoff.co.uk 23:55 13 May 03

Yeah!

VoG™ 23:58 13 May 03

woodchip - yes, understood.

DieSse - I'm getting these e-mail addresses from "official" web sites but still they bounce. Hence the question. I just want to contact somebody in "ACountry".

VoG™ 23:59 13 May 03

Means what exactly?

barryoneoff.co.uk 00:02 14 May 03

Agreeing with DieSsie.

spuds 00:08 14 May 03

Perhaps sounding a bit obvious, but have you tried a Google or Jeeves search for the government departments.They may have a website with contact details available.

A few years ago, I wanted to contact the two sides of the Berlin Wall.Made contact with the UK ambassies, and information that I was seeking was made readily available.

VoG™ 00:13 14 May 03

Done that, found the sites, found e-mail addresses. Result bounce. Hence the question.

John-259217 01:16 14 May 03

You could try this click here
Don`t know how reliable its results are though! (works on my address!)

VoG™ 08:35 14 May 03

Perfect! Thank you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…