filter problems

taggo 15:48 13 Dec 06

ive just ordered broadband and im running an extension from the bedroom to the office and an extension from there to the master socket as the room is so far away from the master. i have worked out i would need to connect the bb via two adsls filters. would this cause connection problems as i have heard i should only connect thru filter?

Technotiger 15:52 13 Dec 06

Hi, You will need a separate filter on each extension. I have four telephones with extension cables from one main bt socket, each extension has its own filter. I am on BY BB.

Technotiger 16:00 13 Dec 06

To clarify - using normal telephone two-way splitter in main bt wall socket, then from that adsl filter to one telephone and extension cable to second telephone in next room, then on end of that extension another adsl filter to 2nd telephone and a further extension cable to 3rd telephone in next room ... and so on.

I hope you can make sense of that.

Technotiger 16:00 13 Dec 06

Ooops - not BY, BT of course.

taggo 11:13 14 Dec 06

thanks for that! so the speed of my bb wont be affected by running my modem cable thru more than 1 filter then?

Gongoozler 11:50 14 Dec 06

I wouldn't recommend having the cable routed through two filters, and can't think of a situation where it would be necessary. A hypothetical perfect filter wouldn't attenuate any of the high frequency signal used by the modem, but there is no such thing as perfection, and so the signal will to some extent be attenuated by each filter. The filter is also designed to work with a cable at the input and output. The complex impedance of the filter might behave unpredictably with another filter at its input or output. This is the normal connection click here

rodriguez 12:15 14 Dec 06

When I got broadband, I tried to connect it to the upstairs phone socket but it wouldn't connect as the quality of the line wasn't good enough. I had to run a 10 metre cable down the stairs and into the master socket as that was the only one that could connect because broadband needs a better line than dial up because it's digital.

Technotiger 12:52 14 Dec 06

Hi, well in my case (the Router/modem for home network, plus 4 telephones in 4 different rooms throughout my flat, each with it's own adsl filter, and all connected via daisy-chained extensions from one main BT socket) my speed is not affected, nor is the quality affected in any way at all.

Cheers.

taggo 13:04 14 Dec 06

thanks all for your help. i will give it a try using the daisy-chained extensions and if i experience any drop-out or inference on the phone i will try connecting using a long RJ11 cable down the stairs like rodriguez.

Dipso 14:31 14 Dec 06

If you have a router rather than a USB modem and the daisy chaining doesn't work, you'd be better off connecting the router to the master socket with a short cable and using a Cat5 network cable for the long cable. This should prevent any signal degradation.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…