//some 3rd party need geo

Film Scanner

platts 20:08 15 May 03

I have a flatbed HP scanner which has an adapter like a tent to scan slides. The scanner is now about 4 years old. When I scan slides the lower half has a brown tint. If I move the slide down to a lower position on the glass, the brown area increases ?
If this cannot be easily corrected (repaired) I would be happy to buy a film scanner but you don't seem to have produced a survey for just flim scanners ?
Thank you

BarryKeith 21:58 15 May 03

Check the mirrors in your slide adapter, they may need cleaning as they could well have collected a layer of dust, which would result in the symptoms you describe.

platts 22:45 15 May 03

Both the scanner glass and mirror are CLEAN !

Filch 02:01 16 May 03

Scanning film with a flatbed is not good under any conditions. I suggest a film scanner if you have many negatives/slides to do.

I've tried several and I've found the Minolta Dimâge Scan Dual II to be about the best for the money (and even better than many more expensive). There is a new one, Dimâge Scan Dual III, for a bit more which might be a bit better, but I doubt you would see the difference except in very large blow-ups. They are both USB, have very good software, and easy to use. The one drawback, they only handle 35 mm films, negative, positive, mounted slides.

Minolta give good support, 'phone and e-mail, and they have up-dates on their web site, drivers, &c.

_Treb_ 08:09 16 May 03

Barry is probably on the right track. Whilst you mirrors and scanner glass may well appear to be clean they can in fact develop a "Bloom" on them. This can appear a hazy film on the suface specially on the underside of the scanner glass. This is best detected by shing a torch on the surce at an acute angle. Then clean with meth. Unplug scanner before removing glass if you decide to do it and indeed feel happy doing it. Ex Phptocopier engineer.

Morpheus© 08:59 16 May 03

hi, i go along with Filch on this, i have the Minolta Dimage scan, and it runs as sweet as a nut.

platts 10:44 16 May 03

Thank you Filch, I will take your advice and buy a Minolta Dimâge Scan Dual III

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…