Files written to CD on CD but not visible

Brighstone 12:26 31 Oct 07

I have Windows XP home. When I copy files to CD using the "write files to CD" facility in XP, the files are copied to the CD (confirmed by checking using my wife's laptop which also uses XP) but on my PC, double clicking on the CD icon shows the CD to be blank. Also, if I right click the CD and choose properties, the CD is shown as having 100% free space. Is anyone able to help me solve this problem?

Diemmess 16:04 31 Oct 07

Have you more than one cd drive?

It seems impossible that the process of copying with your XP PC goes through without error messages, then when searched the CD claims to be blank.

The same disk has the file/s on it when read by another computer!

Only disordered and roundabout ideas for you.
I hope this puts you up the list a lot and will bring you an answer.

lotvic 23:34 31 Oct 07

maybe click here;en-us;Q311455

lotvic 23:35 31 Oct 07

click here
try again

woodchip 23:45 31 Oct 07

Looks like windows write Drivers are not fully compatible with your Drive. Why not try another burner. click here You can check the list of drives on the Link, to see if yours is there. Nero also does this but That is what I think is the Problem

Brighstone 12:50 01 Nov 07

Thanks for all your responses but unfortunately no help I'm afraid. I haven't installed a replacement drive. The drive is a CD read write device which came installed with the computer about 3 to 4 years ago and worked perfectly until about 4 months ago when the problem commenced. I cannot recall doing anything which could have caused the problem. My computer is up to date so far as service packs and critical updates are concerned.

Brighstone 10:58 04 Nov 07

have Windows XP home. When I copy files to CD using the "write files to CD" facility in XP, the files are copied to the CD (confirmed by checking using my wife's laptop which also uses XP) but on my PC, double clicking on the CD icon shows the CD to be blank. Also, if I right click the CD and choose properties, the CD is shown as having 100% free space. Is anyone able to help me solve this problem? Refresh

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:05 04 Nov 07

In My computer if you click off the CD drive to another drive i.e. your C: drive and then click back to the CD drive do the files then show?

lotvic 22:22 04 Nov 07

I think maybe your CDR is faulty. Does it read other CD's and show their contents?

Brighstone 12:01 05 Nov 07

Thanks for the further 2 responses. Clicking off the CD drive and onto another drive before clicking back on to the CD drive unfortunately doesn't solve the problem. My computer can read the contents of CD's recorded on another computer. In fact, it will show content on a RW CD which has been recorded on my computer, but not on a CDR.

Brighstone 23:08 05 Nov 07

Further to my last, I now realise that if I view on my computer, a file recorded onto a CDR using my wife's laptop, the act of viewing it clears the bug which is preventing me viewing files recorded onto a CDR using my computer. However. if I then record a file onto a fresh CDR using my computer, I have to again view the file on my wif's CDR, before I can view my CDR!! So, whilst I can keep my wife's CDR alongside my computer and use it as a tool to overcome the problem, I would still very much welcome suggestions as to how I can properly resolve the issue.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…