Files and Settings - XP to W7

onthelimit 09:15 21 Aug 10

Has anyone personal experience of how easy/possible/difficult it is to transfer Files and Settings from old PC running XP to new laptop with W7. I've Googled it, but results inconclusive. Thanks.

gengiscant 09:18 21 Aug 10
  onthelimit 10:47 21 Aug 10

Thanks Gengis - that was a thread of mine with a problem XP to XP. This time it's XP to W7 and I believe the normal wizard doesn't work for that. I stand to be corrected though!

gengiscant 10:57 21 Aug 10

OK,I feel that it is simpler in the long run to backup your files to an external drive and as XP and Windows settings a very different I would imagine transferring them might be problematic.
But that is just a personal opinion,the cynic that I am thinks that as soon as Microsoft trumpets how easy a process is I know I am going to have problems.Unfortunately I have rarely been proven wrong.
But I have no doubt other here have had trouble free experiences and will post in due course.

onthelimit 09:16 22 Aug 10

Thanks for that - I'll leave open for now in case.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…