Files and Settings transfer wizard problems

Chas 10:15 05 Mar 05

I'm trying to use the Files and Settings transfer wizard to move my settings from my old (XP Home SP2) PC to my new (XP Home SP2) machine. I have a Maxtor one-touch external HDD. I have run the wizard on the old machine and created 711Mbytes of data, in a file with a suffix of .DAT, on the Maxtor. Strangely enough (although this
may be irrelevant) my old PC sees this as Nero file (?). Anyway, when I swap the Maxtor to the new PC and try to use the wizard I point to the file and it tells me there is no data in it. Sure enough, when I use Explorer on the new PC to look at the file properties it says 0 bytes. Put it back on the old PC and it says 711Mbytes. Files on all the bits are NTFS. This seems very
strange.

Has anyone seen anything like this before and/or does anyone have any advice to offer? An early response would be appreciated as Mrs Gill wants the dining room table back in time for Mothers Day............

TIA

Chas

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…