Files & Settings Transfer to USB Jump Drive

chub_tor 19:31 08 Jul 05

I need to transfer files and settings from my son's old Win98SE computer to his new XP machine. The new machine does not have a floppy drive, the old machine does not have a CD writer, but it does have USB 1 ports. Will the Files and Settings Transfer wizard allow me to save the files and settings direct to a removable jump drive or do I need to save them all to a new folder on his old hard drive and then transfer them to the removable USB jumpdrive?

woodchip 19:47 08 Jul 05

You can copy files but not settings as you think, as 98 and xp are different OS's just drag files onto the usb removable drive in Win Explorer

chub_tor 21:15 08 Jul 05

Woodchip Are you sure you are correct? The following is taken from a website I bookmarked earlier. It's very good but doesn't discuss USB removable drives. And when I upgraded from Me to XP it transferred perfectly - although come to think of it I don't believe I used the transfer wizard.....

F.A.S.T. Supports...
All Windows versions from Windows 95 (with IE4) through Windows XP, though Windows XP is the only supported destination. It will migrate even if there is no upgrade allowed from the original system, e.g., from Win NT 4.0 to Win XP, or from XP Professional to XP Home Edition

chub_tor 10:16 10 Jul 05

chub_tor 16:14 10 Jul 05

Finally read this site and it appears that transferring the wizard to a jump drive is straightforward so I'llmark it resolved.

chub_tor 16:14 10 Jul 05

Sorry this is the link click here

woodchip 16:20 10 Jul 05

That's a Us full bit of kit worth download, if you find it hard to reset new comp. And I apologize as I did not know that such existed

chub_tor 16:34 12 Jul 05

Just a quick update. I made the transfer using a 128Mb jumpdrive - win 98 wouldn't recognise the 512Mb one I also have - and the transfer went perfectly. I followed all the recommendations in the guide and it all worked first time.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…