Files and Settings, Programs Transfer

Samuel Gee 18:37 23 Oct 05

Hi,I have an external Hard Drive and I am thinking of reformatting my p.cs hard drive mainly to clear out the multitude of left over bits in my registry.Can I transfer all my programs and files,setting to this hard drive reformat and transfer it all back with a nice clean registry.
Thanks,I have XP Home.or should I reload my programs and just do Files and settings ??
Graham

Personally I would save whichever important docs etc. and then do a nice clean format and install of O/S.

chub_tor 19:24 23 Oct 05

Personally I have used route 2 a couple of times ie use the Files & Settings Transfer Wizard click here saved to CD followed by a nice clean format of the hard drive. It takes time to re-load all the programmes, new drivers etc. but if you prepare for the changeover carefully you will find that the cleaned up computer will be more stable.

However if it is only registry problems that you are worried about why not try CCleaner click here and Regseeker click here first?

Samuel Gee 20:10 23 Oct 05

Thanks all, I have Registry Mechanic and it's great but it will not remove program left overs from Adobe Illustrator,even Adobe give a three page list that have to be removed by going into the registry and removing them,,and I do mean THREE pages.I think I will try the No 1 advice Thanks again.
Graham

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch Series 2 review | Apple Watch 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter,…