Files on second HDD files after Win 98 - XP upgrad

Air_Man 17:07 07 Jan 05

Weird one this. My machine has two HDDs, C and D. I wanted to upgrade from WIn 98 to XP, so from Win 98, I copied My Documents to the D drive and then formated the C drive from a boot disk. I then did a clean install of Win XP - no problems. Win XP sees the D drive but shows no files! When I boot to DOS and go to the D drive, all my files are still there, but truncated to 8.3 chars. I can copy the files over to the C drive from DOS (using "copy" - can't get Xcopy to do the job) but given that I have many levels of folders, wondered if anyone could a) explain why this has happened, and b) suggest and easy way round getting my files back without copying every subdirectory?

Thanx in advance. Oh, both drives are FAT32

Air_Man 17:13 07 Jan 05

Title should read "Files on second HDD vanished after Win - XP upgrad"

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:25 07 Jan 05

My compuetr - tools - folder options - view tab - show hidden files and folders.

My docs is a hidden file to other accounts.

seedie 17:29 07 Jan 05

Hi I've used xxcopy in a situation like this with success 'tho can't xplain why xp won't see the files on D:

CD

Air_Man 17:36 07 Jan 05

Fruitbat - sorry, I should have said that I copied the contents of My Documents into a directory on the d drive that I called OLD C DRIVE (or OLDCDR~1 as I now have to call it!). I didn;t move/copy the My Documents folder per se.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…