Files not needed anymore?

Madboy 23:04 10 Apr 04

When i formatted earlier, i must of copied some files accidentally to the C drive. Because when i click in, i have what looks like the contents of a boot disk remaining on my C:

Such files are Autoexec.bat, Config.sys, FDISK.exe and loads more. Anyway, i dont think they should be there, least i think they nether needed to before i formatted.

What should be in the C: directory? Because im wasting space here i think in which i need.

Cheers for any help :)

woodchip 23:12 10 Apr 04

If you used the Format C: /S it's put the system files on you should just use "Format C: in DOS"

Madboy 23:14 10 Apr 04

I dont want to format again, just wondered if its safe to delete. Ill post C:'s drive contents here if needed

gudgulf 23:15 10 Apr 04

How big is your hard drive?--- the contents of a boot disc should not make much impact on it------if the pc works then just ignore them.

woodchip 23:17 10 Apr 04

From DOS just type Del and the file name as

A:\Del XXXXX

the XXXXX being the file name

woodchip 23:18 10 Apr 04

Sorry that should be A:\Del C: XXXXX

Madboy 23:31 10 Apr 04

I dont think this is what im after........?

cycoze 23:40 10 Apr 04

Autoexec.bat, Config.sys , to the best of my knowledge should be in C , fdisk should not .

woodchip 23:46 10 Apr 04

You can use the Deltree in C: if you start with floppy disc at A:\> type C: then at C:\> type "Deltree C: and press enter"

keith-236785 01:11 11 Apr 04

woodchip,

surely deltree C: would delete EVERY file and folder from drive C: maybe that is not what is required, more info from Madboy about whether he has installed windows again would be useful.

i find it much safer to delete the files from within windows, as windows will warn you if the file is in use, and you get a second chance as long as you dont empty recycle bin before restarting and checking everything works ok.

I think your earlier suggestion of format c: would suffice if it just an empty disk that is needed.

hugh-265156 01:23 11 Apr 04

for others to see click here click here

i would leave it alone now as you have succesfully installed windows.

this click here and click here will safely remove all uneeded temp and reg files from you system on their default settings.

hide protected operating system files and leave it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…