Files Have Totally Vanished

cjhughes 16:13 24 Dec 06

For some reason a lot of files on my PC (on the desktop) have totally vanished but I didn't delete them.

Now whats even stranger is that the folders they where located in have not been deleted and are still there. Does anyone know what has happened and does anyone know if I can get back the files?

Don't know if it means anything but my iPod has been stopping my PC booting all this week when its plugged into the dock.

Thanks for any help

The Brigadier 16:16 24 Dec 06

Whats your O/S?
If XP go to start > search > For Files & Folders and do a search for them.

HXP 16:23 24 Dec 06

Are these system files and you have hide system files ? ....or are they word docs / mp3's ?

As suggested above if you know the file type eg mp3 do a search of the C:\ drive for *.mp3 whih will find all the files of that type on the drive just in case.

cjhughes 16:32 24 Dec 06

The files were mainly mp3's, jpegs and word docs.

I am running XP and I have done a search but nothing has come up.

I can't believe they just disappeared all by themselves.

James. 16:39 24 Dec 06

Have you got the Desktop Cleanup Wizard set to run every 60 days, if so try turning it off:

Right click the desktop goto Properties/Desktop/Customise Desktop/uncheck Run Desktop Cleanup Wizard every 60 days.

This will prevent it happening again, have you looked in your recycle bin?

cjhughes 17:21 24 Dec 06

The recycle bin is showing the icon that indicates there is something in it but when I open it its empty.

skidzy 17:28 24 Dec 06

Maybe System Restore ?

Some recovery apps that may help out if needed.

click here
click here
click here
click here
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…