Files from Hard Drive after crash

Kilty 13:49 29 Jan 10

I have attached a crashed hard drive, via a caddy, to another PC to try and retrieve files from the drive. The drive shows up on my PC, but when I try to open the drive I get a message that says the drive is not formatted and needs to be to be used.

Is there another way of getting into the drive and accessing the files?

Thanks in advance for any help given.

GaT7 15:42 29 Jan 10

How important/valuable is the disk's data to you? If highly, then you should only a approach a professional data recovery expert.

If not important, there are some DIY methods you can try for free. TestDisk is one example click here (download & instructions are lower down under 'Documentation'). It's not guaranteed to work, so use at your own risk. Also, remember that the more stuff you try on the drive, the harder it may become (even for a pro) to retrieve its data. G

Pineman100 18:40 29 Jan 10

Strictly as a last resort, and absolutely at your own risk, click here

Do read the article v-e-r-y carefully.

I have never tried this myself, and there are some who say it's a myth. But I've read a number of internet articles about it, and the majority say that it can work sometimes.

I repeat - try this only if and when all other techniques have failed.

canarieslover 20:01 29 Jan 10

If the drive is showing as unformatted it has most probably got damaged FAT. If you can hear the drive spin as you power it on then you need software that can read it regardless. Try click here or click here Also try on Google for other software for data recovery. Try the freeware ones first ,and, depending on how much you need the data, you can try some of the 'try before you buy' like click here

canarieslover 13:24 30 Jan 10

It may be of use to you. Giveaway of the day click here today is iCare Data Recovery v3.5 which purports to recover in almost any circumstances. Be quick as you only have another 18 hours in which to download and install.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the 2017 Oscar-winning VFX of The Jungle Book were created

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…