files in folders

spud 23:00 17 Sep 03

Hi all
I'm running xp home if i open "my pictures" folder there's 19 files in there, however if i right click the folder and then choose properties it says there is 21 files in there, this is the same for many folders on my pc, although this is not a problem and everything works fine i was just wondering if anyone knows why?
Ta Phil

VoG II 23:02 17 Sep 03

If you show hidden files and folders you should see all 21.

spud 23:15 17 Sep 03

I have right clicked the folder and clicked properties i have ticked the hidden box but still only 19 files in there

kinger 23:19 17 Sep 03

Tools, Folder options, View.

Click 'Do not show hidden files and folders'

reboot PC

Tools, Folder options, View.

Click 'Show hidden files and folders'

reboot PC.

If it doesn't correct the problem you have a mess up in the registry file.

spud 23:40 17 Sep 03

I have tried that kinger,it looks like i have a mess up in my registry now what ?

leo49 23:46 17 Sep 03

I copied this from a recent Lockergnome bulletin and might shed some light.

"Want to See All The Hidden Files and Folders?

Did you know that even when you've selected to view hidden files and folders in Explorer's Tools | Folder Options | View Advanced settings, there are some files that still won't be displayed? These are system files and normally you'd have no reason to access, change or delete them (and doing so could cause big problems if you don't know what you're doing).

But if you'd like to see everything that's there, you can make Windows treat these like regular hidden files so that the settings to view hidden files and folders will cause them to display in Explorer.

This requires editing the registry. Remember to take all the usual precautions and back up the registry before editing it. First, navigate to the following registry key:

In the right pane, double click the entry ShowSuperHidden. Set the data value to 1. If you later decide you want these "super hidden" files to stay out of sight, set the data value back to 0."

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…