files with filenames far2 long for xp to read?..

theDarkness 16:22 29 Dec 06

I seem to have been able to create zip files with long filenames, yet now it seems from the hd windows xp cannot read them. eg one file is zipped, and if i double click to try and view any contents, nothing happens. although the file does look like any other winzip file with ".zip" at the end, the file desription when viewing in xp details mode gives either "file" or "O27829/.23" or something similar instead.

the file names are very long (more than 250 characters which i think is the main problem since xp can only read files up to that level i think)?

Staz 16:46 29 Dec 06

theDarkness 18:02 29 Dec 06

nope cant do anything to them except highlight them with one click. think ive figured it out though, seems to be working by rezipping the original- i think it could have been a read problem either a fault of xp or the hard drive with long file names.. very strange

the problem i have now is that i cant replace them with the good files, or even delete the bad files hahaha :O mayb my fairly new hard drive is giving up

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…