Files on a DVD have changed

ACOLYTE 13:01 22 Dec 04

I backed up some files to a DVD-R and now when i put the disk in i can see the folders but all the files inside have lost there icon's and have turned into what seems to be DOS programs,some text docs are ok but the rest wont run,in the properties for each file they are read only and loads of tabs at the top,with screen,font,memory,program.compatabilty and things.It did say when i copied them with Nero 5.5 that i may not be able to read the second mutilsession with an OS exept xp,but as i wasnt going to use multisession i clicked copy without multisession.Is there a way to recover these files?

ACOLYTE 14:32 22 Dec 04

Any one know a program that will change theses files and make them useable again?

Sethhaniel 14:37 22 Dec 04

maybe a right click and open with 'the prog that made them ' might work

JoeC 14:39 22 Dec 04

a file recovery prog from this link

click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:41 22 Dec 04

HAve you still got the original files?

The files are bound to be read only as they are now on read only media DVD-R.

Some programs require the files to be rewritten as the program runs and there fore cannot be run straight of a CD / DVD. Copy them back to the hard drive and see if they work for there.

ACOLYTE 14:56 22 Dec 04

Unfortunatly i dont have the original files i made backups so as i could delete the originals and free space,over 4 gigs worth of files and programs are on the disc,they all have there extensions as before but when clicked to open all that happens is a cmd/dos box opens for a few seconds and then nothing.I have tried copying programs back to the hard disc but it still does the same thing when i try to open them.

TomJerry 15:07 22 Dec 04

I think original files have long number, but nero shortern them into 8+3, so unreable. Why this happen? The standard option was selected iso9660 not isso 9660 + Joleit or udf

TomJerry 15:08 22 Dec 04

long names not long numbers

ACOLYTE 15:18 22 Dec 04

I don't know why it happened,it copied OK just doesn't work,i dont know what mode it was copied in i just let nero do it i drag and dropped and pressed burn.

ACOLYTE 21:38 22 Dec 04

Tryied recovery apps no go so i will have to bin the disc and see if i can collect the files again.ty

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…