Files don't open automatically in Excel

Warrenj1 14:12 13 May 05

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling Excel.
If I have a shortcut on the desktop, or an attachment, I have to open excel and then open the document it doesn't happen automatically - any advices ?
Thanks

pj123 14:53 13 May 05

How did you set the shortcut up? I have three different shortcuts to three different Excel files and they all open perfectly.

Noldi 15:33 13 May 05

VOG is probably the man for this. My idea is right click the Excel file and OPEN WITH then select excel ant tick the always open with.
Noldi

Noldi 15:34 13 May 05

Sorry dont know how that ant go in there should be AND

Noldi 16:54 13 May 05

When you right click the folder and select Properties you should see File type Microsoft Excel workbook and open with Microsoft Excel if not you can change?

Noldi 10:13 16 May 05

Do you see the information in Properties for the Excel folder you are trying to open?

huzzar 11:13 16 May 05

The link between your desktop shortcuts and the XL files have been lost and you will have to re-do them.

Noldi 19:29 16 May 05

I received two answers to this from warrenj1 via e-mail. warrenj1 its better to reply via the forum then everybody keeps up with the problem also its not good forum Etiquette to send e-mails un invited. Maybe you are new to this so we all have to learn. Bellow is the forum rule on this. I hope huzzar has explained your problem that you need to redo the link for the icon.
Noldi

Answer 1

Thank you - but unfortunately, this still doesn't work. I have to open Excel and then open the document from within Excel.

Answer 2

Yes, my user can see the properties and it says opens with Microsoft excel in the appropriate place. Sorry for delay - but he's been out on a customer site.

Warning! You should only email another forum user when invited to do so, or when you have an urgent and/or confidential message. Unsolicited mail is spam, and we ask you to respect other members' privacy. Please do not ask for one-to-one advice or help via email.

daba 00:39 17 May 05

Are they actually 'shortcuts' you have placed on your desktop?

It could be that they are the Excel files themselves, and you could have possibly renamed them, losing the ".xls" or ".xlw" extension ?

The "desktop" is just another folder on your HDD which Windows obligingly makes the icons available on your Windows desktop (main window) without having to use your browser to find them.

It is perfectly possible to store an excel, word, or any other document or application in/on the desktop.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5