Files disappeared in XP

the-emsworth-kid 18:38 25 Jun 03

After Monday's storms (which may or may not be relevant)all the files on my external firewire drive have disappeared. Windows explorer reckons that 42GB (of 74.5) are free which I guess implies something is there but apart from one icon for RECYCLED, which is empty, nothing shows up. Norton Disk Doctor identifies no problems with the drive. Scandisk reckons there are files there - but I can't get at them - any ideas please? The drive itself is still functional.

Gaz 25 18:48 25 Jun 03

Virus?

Other than that they are selected to hidden?

Or they could just need a restart of your PC?

Or final something in XP is corrupted and causing it not to remember anything is on the drive?

It may even be faulty.

Try adding a new file, do they all come back, or just that one?

Hope you get your files back!!!! Good luck ;-)

Regards,
Gareth

fitshase 18:51 25 Jun 03

Have you checked to make sure that they are not hidden?

Go into Windows Explorer, Click on Tools\Folder Options...

Click on the View tab

Select Show Hidden Files and Folders.

In addition, you could try and re-install the drivers for the drive as they might have become corrupted.

Regards

Fitshase

the-emsworth-kid 18:00 27 Jun 03

Many thanks for your input - the mystery remains. The disk is working OK in that I can add files to it and delete them. Fortunately as one who has been caught before by failing systems my data was backed up so I 'only' have the problem of restoring 32odd GB of data. Again thanks for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…