//some 3rd party need geo

files disappeared

Quilljar 11:28 16 Sep 05

After moving house and re-connecting my PC, some of my desktop icons and files have disappeared from my machine. I am sure the files are there somewhere although a search has not revealed them. The icons are not in the Unused Desktop folder either.
Can anyone help?

jack 11:40 16 Sep 05

Re create the icons by going to My computer right click the drives- select make short cut which automatically transfer them to desk top.
Folders and program icons[In Progeams] will need to be cut pasted there.

Quilljar 13:06 16 Sep 05

Sorry, I do not understand how disappeared files can re-appear by clicking on create shortcut?

PA28 14:15 16 Sep 05

They can't - you need to find the files to create the shortcut icon. What happens when you open Windows Explorer - can you see your drives, directories and files there?

Please post details of your system and operating system for further assistance. It is possible that some damage has been caused to your hard drive in the move, but this is unlikely if your machine is actually running. If you have more than one hard drive (and your missing files are on the second) then check to make sure that a cable hasn't become dislodged. You will see if this is a problem in Windows Explorer (assuming you're running Windows of some flavour, of course!).

Quilljar 14:28 16 Sep 05

The query is actually on behalf of a friend who has enlisted my help. I don't know the details of his setup, but I will try checking what you suggest. I may just start by trying System Restore!

PA28 14:40 16 Sep 05

That's narrowed it down to XP anyway!

Quilljar 15:25 16 Sep 05

Not necessarily! 98SE and ME can be restored! But I think he has XP, I certainly hope so!

BurrWalnut 16:04 16 Sep 05

This sometimes works :-
Go click here and scroll down to line 195 right hand column and download the file.

Save the REG File to your hard disk. Double click it and answer yes to the import prompt.

jack 17:19 16 Sep 05

Unused desktop icons refers only to XP I believe.
There that is what I assumed.
Desk top icons as mentioned would only infer to be drives and programs.
That being so and assuming 'My Comupter' is still extant- then opening that icon and right clicking on an item and selecting 'create shortcut' will do simply that.
As for files as said , a fuller description of what is missing will be required to take this further.
Assuming as mention the machines did not suffer damage in the move.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…