Files are corrupted, no access to user

Willow12 16:49 06 Apr 05

My partner seems to have inadvertantly deleted some Windows system files in error whilst they were trying to delete their temporary Internet files.

They now have NO access to their user account which just freezes when they log on. It takes an age just to get their account logged off again.

I tried whatever I could to resolve this which inluded running disc check, trying to reload the windows disc over the top (could not get the disc to run from their sign on so this was a no-go) and by trying to see if the the files were in the recyle bin and thus retrievable (could not access bin).

I decided in the end that I would have to delete their account from the Control Panel and they would have to start from scratch. It will not even let me do that! I can create a new account but cannot delete the old one.

Is there anything else to be done or am I left with a user on the system which will permanently be unusable.

My sign on is fine and with 3 other accounts on the one PC I do not want to do a complete reformat.

I use Windows XP and am at a loss.

Many thanks.

Willow12

PUNKA 17:07 06 Apr 05

Could this help.

Willow12 17:14 06 Apr 05

I tried System Restore, sorry should have mentioned that, it did not work.

Willow12 17:33 06 Apr 05

Having just checked my partners Log-in they now only have a Recycle bin and nothing else on their account! So any recovery is now out of the question but I would like to remove their account from the welcome screen if possible.

VoG II 17:36 06 Apr 05
  VoG II 17:37 06 Apr 05

Sorry click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:54 06 Apr 05

Are you an administator if so then create a new account with exactly the same name as the old account. it will overwrite the old details and replace favourites icons etc.

Willow12 19:18 06 Apr 05

Thanks VoG I have been able to hide the user account which at least gets it out of sight and mind!

I tried your suggestion Fruit Bat but it would not let me have an account with the same name.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…