There are certain basic rules which have to be followed in order to set-up a network.
1. Each computer must have a unique Name.
2. Each computer must be on the same Workgroup.
3. Each computer must have at least one file or hard drive set to shared. This is done by Right Clicking, accepting the warning and then setting the permissions.
4. Printer and File Sharing must be activated on all machines that wish to share.
5. Until the network is up and running, all Firewalls should be disabled. They can and do block successful initiation.
Are all these preliminarys in place?