filename extension

tomos 05:35 14 Mar 05

if i try to rename a file,folder or image file i get the message. if you change a filename extension the file may become unusable. which it does.how can i correct this. i am using win 2000 pro.
many thanks tomos

octal 06:39 14 Mar 05

Ignore the message, its only a nag, you're the boss of the computer.

Remember, if you change the file extension you won't be able to open it in the application which you normally use for that file, but you can always change it back.

Taff36 06:51 14 Mar 05

If you are in Windows Explorer it depends on the View settings. If you can see file extensions such as .doc or .jpg and you rename the file you should use the same extension after you rename the file. This ensures that the programme that created the file e.g. Word can open the file again.

If you are changing the name of a lot of files adding the same extension every time becomes a drag. You need to change the View properties to "Hide file extensions of known types" In XP you go to Control Panel>Folder Options and under Advanced Options scroll down and tick the relevant box. I think it`s the same in Windows 2000. Otherwise, If I remember, in Explorer go to View>Options and look for a similar tick box.

Taff36 06:53 14 Mar 05

Oh I forgot - the computer then puts in the same extension as previous when you rename it but it`s hidden from view. Unclick the option again and you`ll see what I mean.

Simsy 09:37 14 Mar 05

"how can i correct this."

The answer is to make sure, when renaming, that you keep the existing extension as part of the name, with no added full stops.

e.g. if the original is called,

Photograph.jpg

don't change it to,

Photo of Fred

Change it instead to

Photo of Fred.jpg

Dont change it to,

Photo of Fred 25.12.04

because then it thinks the extension is .04

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Simsy

tomos 17:17 14 Mar 05

many thanks to you all problem solved

Taff36 19:24 14 Mar 05

Glad to help.

tomos 17:28 15 Mar 05

sorry taff36 i am new to all this.once again thanks to everybody for your help.tomos

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…