File/Folder sharing

griffo 10:18 07 May 06

I am having a problem on a Home network (part wireless, XP Pro). I have attached a USB HD to do mirrors and backups to. It is attached to my laptop and I want to mirror one of my desktop's.

I have selected the partition on the USB HD that I wish to use for this and can see it in Explorer on the Desktop PC but get:
'[name of drive] is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.
Not enough server storage is available to process this command'

On my Laptop, in My Computer, View, Folder options, Advanced, "use simple file sharing (recommended)" isn't on the list.

Can anyone advise please?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:18 07 May 06

"On my Laptop, in My Computer, View, Folder options, Advanced, "use simple file sharing (recommended)" isn't on the list."

Assume the laptop has XP Home installed.

Simple File Sharing is always turned on in Windows XP Home Edition-based computers.

By default, the Simple File Sharing UI is turned on in Windows XP Professional-based computers that are joined to a workgroup.

griffo 12:37 07 May 06

No, laptop is also XP and both PC's are part of the same workgroup. The desktop shows the Simple File sharing, laptop doesn't. Do you think this is why I'm getting thye error message?

Eric10 17:22 07 May 06

Does your laptop use NTFS or FAT32? As far as I am aware 'Simple file sharing' is only available when running NTFS. If your laptop is FAT32 then you can use the 'Convert' command from the command prompt to convert it to NTFS.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:53 07 May 06

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…