file transfers to new pc

cris66 19:03 05 Jan 05

Having real trouble transfering files & settings from 98 pc to xp home pc via wireless network. Aparantly i do not have administrator access, thought i did but hey.
Connection is wireless 54g, machines are talking, sharing fine.
Any thoughts?

LeadingMNMs 19:23 05 Jan 05

Are you trying to put the files on the new machine, or take them off the old one ? (if that makes sense)

I would move the files to a shared location on the old machine and then use the new machine to transfer them.

LeadingMNMs 19:26 05 Jan 05

Just another thought.

I believe that you will need to be logged on to the 98 machine with a proper user name, rather than it booting straight into 98 without any authentication.

cris66 19:55 05 Jan 05

well, not just files to transfer, more importantly OE address book. Sharing files/ folders works ok.
I'm logged on as propre user name that i thought had full access. What do you know about administrator settings in 98?

LeadingMNMs 20:01 05 Jan 05

I don't recall that 98 has any sort of differentiation between users like XP does, although I don't use 98 very often.

Are you moving the files from the 98 machine, or using the XP machine to do it ?

You say they are sharing fine, what have you shared across the network ?

LeadingMNMs 20:44 05 Jan 05

Via e-mail

"well, shared files is ok, can get at them. More important is OE address book, where would i find it? I'm logged on with user name, but without administrator access, which i thought was on this account, how would i get full access?"

I've checked 98 and can find no sign of different types of accounts. In XP only an account that already has Administrative access can make another account an Administrator. This is done in the User section of the Control Panel.

To get the Address Book, go to Tools > Address Book. Then choose, File > Export > Address Book (WAB) ..., and select a Location to save the file. When the file is transferred to the new computer, open Outlook Express, then choose File > Import > Address Book ..., and select the file that you exported.

freaky 21:49 05 Jan 05

Just did that with Address Book and Favourites.

In my case, I had 2 PC's both with XP. I Exported the two files to a USB Memory Stick. Then unloaded the two files to the Desktop of the new PC. Then Imported them to Address Book and Favourites.

You could probably do the same using two Floppies as the file sizes are quite small.

VoG II 21:53 05 Jan 05

Does click here help?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…