File Transferring - Help please!

mad2477 18:02 01 Apr 03

I have 2 systems, both running Windows XP Pro and i want to move large files from my desktop to my laptop which are too large to put on a CD. I have no DVD writer, nor are they connected to a LAN. I can't be bothered to buy a hub and set up a home network. Are there any other ways to connect the two computers? Windows suggests using a serial or parralell cable, but i have these cables but both connections are different and so they fit in one computer but not the other. Where can i get a double ended cable or are there any other methods? My desktop has no infra=red connection. Thanks for any help. Chris.

mad2477 18:25 01 Apr 03

really any help would be greatly appreciated.

Pesala 18:30 01 Apr 03

If this is a one off operation I would think splitting the files and burning to CD-RW would be best.

File Splitter (290 K) click here

Lozzy 18:33 01 Apr 03

Why don't you want to create a network between Laptop and PC?? Its easy especially if both have XP Pro and its by far the cheaper option..

mad2477 18:34 01 Apr 03

yeh thanks, but to be perfectly honest there is more than a few 900mb files, it amounts to about 13gb, and i really can't bothered to keep on writing cd-rws if i can help it. Any other suggestions?

fitshase 18:35 01 Apr 03

There are a few options:-

Option 1 (the quickest option)

If both computers have a network card in them then simply buy a crossover network cable to connect them - you certainly don't need a hub if it is only 2 computers.

Option 2

The cable you are looking for is a "null modem cable". However, as the file is too big to fit on a CD (therefore over 700MB) then this option will take a long time to transfer.

If you are going to do this on a regular basis then option 1 is the best option. However, I suspect that you have a network card in both computers as you only mention buying a hub. With option 1 you'll not need a hub, just a crossover cable.

Hope this helps

regards

Fitshase

Pesala 18:35 01 Apr 03

Same topic discussed here. Laplink is slow.

click here

mad2477 18:35 01 Apr 03

how do i create a network, can i just stick a cable between the LAN Cards. and then how do i actually configure it all?

fitshase 18:39 01 Apr 03

Firstly you need to get a crossover cable.

Secondly:-

- Switch both computers off

- Connect the crossover cable to both computers

- Switch both computers on and run the network wizard in XP.

It should do everything for you and you'll be up and running.

Regards

Fitshase

mad2477 18:40 01 Apr 03

what is a "cross over cable" is it an ordinary LAN cable? And will windows automatically detect it by itself?

fitshase 18:48 01 Apr 03

A crossover cable is the same as a normal LAN cable but with some of the wires "crossed over" (hence the name).

A normal LAN cable will not work - it needs to be a crossover cable.

Once you have the cable in place and follow the steps I gave, windows should pick it up and configure it for you when you run the network wizard.

regards

Fitshase

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…