File Transferring

rogertjj 13:52 23 Feb 04

Hi All

My Dad has just ordered a new PC, and wants to transfer files from his old PC to the new one. The old PC is running Windows NT, and the new one will be running Windows XP Home. What is the easiest way to do this ? He hasn't got a CDRW drive on the old PC.

Diodorus Siculus 14:14 23 Feb 04

Take the hdd out of the old machine and set it as slave. Install it into the new machine. Copy everything across.

Take out and set as master.

Put back into NT machine.

rogertjj 14:19 23 Feb 04

Ok, thanks. Is that easy to do ?? And is that the only option ?

Diodorus Siculus 14:23 23 Feb 04

Easy: yes.

Only option: no. You can also install a CD-RW into the NT machine; you can install a couple of network cards and get a crossover cable; you can get a Zip Drive and install it on the NT machine. Lots of other options too, but tha is by far the easiest and cheapest.

rogertjj 14:30 23 Feb 04

What about a USB flash drive. Can you get those to work with Windows NT ? If not, I think I'll go along with the first option if it is easy. Thanks for your help

Diodorus Siculus 15:55 23 Feb 04

No USB support in NT from my memory of things; that would of course be the number one easy way... sorry about that!

rogertjj 16:36 23 Feb 04

No need to be sorry, you have thrown up a number of usefull ideas.

I did find this click here that states that a driver needs to be downloaded for it to work with Win NT, but I think a CDRW drive is probably cheaper. Thanks again for your help

Diodorus Siculus 16:56 23 Feb 04

Well, if you are feeling brave, there is a good chance that the new pc will have a CD-RW drive and you can take it out and put it into the NT machine.

Still think it is easier to go with the first option - take out the drive and put into the new one until you transfer all the data.

Diodorus Siculus 16:56 23 Feb 04

By the way, that was an expensive drive. I bought a 256mb usb2 drive from novatech for a little less than £50 last week.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event live stream | Apple October Event live blog: Watch Apple unveil new MacBook Pro, new…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Lida designs a cross-stitch email sent to thousands of Ikea Family members

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: Faster performance, a brighter screen, water-ret…