File Transfer Wizard --> Which cable?

stu1901 11:25 21 Dec 04

Hi,
I'm trying to get all my files from my old computer to the new one and am trying to use the file transfer wizard.

On the help section it says

'You must have a null modem serial cable (also called a LapLink serial cable or a serial file transfer cable)'

On ebuyer.co.uk it has 95 matches for 'null modem serial cable'. click here

They are different shapes etc, which one do i need?

Thanks

Magik ®© 11:51 21 Dec 04

I got mine from Laplink, usb on both ends and a dollop of electronics in the middle...cost about £30....

vitrocmax 12:46 21 Dec 04

From memory, the WinXP FAST (File and setting transfer) wizard doesn't support USB.

I have a serial 9pin to 9pin null modem cable, where the transmit and receive pins (2 and 3, again from memory) are crossed. Expansys have an adapter for use with 'standard' cables [url=click here] here [/url], or an alternative M/F adaptor [url=click here] here. [/url]

Unfortunately (for me!) it didn't work when I tried to transfer my files from my old ME machine. The Wizard went through the cable setup and collection routines, then stopped working because of some error. I tried the floppy disk option, collected all the files OK then the new machine wouldn't read them. A USB memory stick wouldn't work either, so I just shifted the files I wanted from my backup drive on to the new PC.

I've changed ISP so I didn't want the settings for IE or OE moving, so I deselected them when I was given the option. I would like my emails transferring, but that option wasn't available, so I'm working on a way of getting them moved without losing my new ones.

vitrocmax 12:54 21 Dec 04

Oops- I didn't realise that the [url] tags aren't needed for this board, so my links above are messy. (I don't see an 'edit' button, either...).

Ebuyer have a null modem cable, product code 28326, which is not very expensive (£1.88!) and it should be OK.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…