File transfer , help ...please

sirlancelot 16:52 06 May 04

Hello all , please err help.
I have just installed a LAN card in my old pc and linked it to my new laptop. The intention is to trnasfer to 8 Gb worth of data and then write it on the DVD.

I have used a crossover cable to connect them and they both show connected. I just can't figure out how to transfer files. I used the wizard but it just shows nothing! Are there any programs I can get?

Help Paul

scotty 16:59 06 May 04

You will just use explorer to transfer files. However, for another computer on the network to show up, you must share at least one directory on a drive. In explorer, right click on your C:drive, select Properties and under the Sharing tab set to Share. Do this on each computer.

sirlancelot 17:04 06 May 04

Hi , thnaks for helping , i've already done.

And i'm still stuck ,I'm in network shared places and it shows the host computer but not the others on the network.

I thought this would be easy :)

scotty 08:38 07 May 04

You say "new laptop" so I am guessing it's operating system is XP? I am not familiar with XP but I do recall reading that it has certain security features added which require you to give permission to another computer before it is recognised on the network. Not sure of the details but I expect someone else will be.

Other than that, have you tried PINGing from both computers to confirm the hardware of the network is working?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…