File Transfer 98 to XP

Amadas 18:42 12 Feb 03

Hi Gang, I'm hoping to learn something today.

I have been requested to assist a friend who just purchased a new "Dell" computer, to transfer files from their old system, (using 98) to the new one, (using XP). Many of the files are documents and I should be able to handle that with no problem, but it's a certain program she has installed that has no installation disk. She has no burner on the old system, and the file is larger than the capacity of a floppy. I do have a cross-over cable that I could utilize, that's of course that she has a network card installed on the old system. I'm not even sure she has a USB port.

Any idea's?

Also, I'm concerned that XP's file system may be NTSC. Is this default for XP, or default for Dell systems? If so, how can I transfer FAT32 files to a system of NTSC.

Thanks,

Amadas

powerless 18:48 12 Feb 03

Although you can copy the contents of the program folder to the new system that is all you can do. The program itself will not work because the registry etries are missing. To use the program, you will need the CD again.

NTSC - Its NTFS...

You can transfer files from a FAT32 to an NTFS file system because i have done it.

To find out what file system the new machine is usinf. Right click the C drive and go down to prpperties and then look at "File system".

Its most likely to be NTFS anyway.

Also it will have a USB port.

Amadas 18:58 12 Feb 03

Thanks for the correction, I've got video editing on the mind.

How about ghosting the drive? (She'd have to obtain the software)
or,
How about taking the drive out of the old system and installing it temporarily into the new one? Now we're getting complicated and I'm hoping to avoid that.

Maybe we should just find her this software and reinstall it.

Thanks for your assistance

Amadas

powerless 20:18 12 Feb 03

Yes find her the software, thats the easiest way and saves me typing.

But...

Not exactly sure because i have not done it. She could have two operating systems on her computer, just move the old drive and find it a new home into the new computer.

Dual boot!

If it is only for the sake of using the program, its best to look for that CD. She could use the other drive for backup etc, just a thought thats all.

What is the program called? If it was free maybe someone could send you a copy - just a thought.

Amadas 20:32 12 Feb 03

I think she wants to keep the old computer for her kids games. Good idea though, didn't even think of the dual boot option.

The name of the program is called Caseware. I don't know what version, she's had it a couple of years, and prefers to use it. Habit I guess. She's an accountant for a number of medical offices, so I believe it's related to this. I've searched some warez sites and have been unsuccessful in locating.

Any links would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Amadas

beeuuem 21:20 12 Feb 03

Is this the site you are after?
click here

Amadas 21:53 12 Feb 03

Thanks, I also found the Canadian link. This is the software she's looking for, actually it's the "working papers" version only. I'm actually seeking the non-expiring demo version, if you know what I mean. ;)

Regards,

Amadas

beeuuem 22:23 12 Feb 03

I know what you mean but I can't find one. Which isn't to say that it isn't there, merely that I can't find it.

DieSse 22:54 12 Feb 03

My honest belief is, that since she's using this software as the basis for a (hopefully successful) business - then the least she should do is to buy a copy of it. It's no different really than buying the computer to run it on, is it?

If indeed she has already done that, and has simply lost the original disks, than an approach to the suppliers should be the first point of contact.

Amadas 22:56 12 Feb 03

Thanks for looking. If you or anyone happen to stumble across a link which may have this I'd really appreciate hearing from you.

Regards,

Amadas

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…