File is too large for the destination file system (External HD)

Autoschediastic 16:00 PM 25 Sep 11

Hiya, i have a 1TB external Hard drive & i am about to format this pc, ive got 200 gig of files which i need to keep and transfer to my External which is formatted in FAT32 so when i try to transfer a file bigger then 4 gig i get the old message "File is too large for the destination file system" now ive got 300 gig of files already on the External drive and i cant move them off it, ive heard there is a way to convert the external from FAT32 to NTFS without deleting ANY files, does anyone know how this is done please? im running on Windows 7 (64) Thanks

lotvic 16:15 PM 25 Sep 11

This might help http://arungeek.blogspot.com/2011/02/how-to-convert-fat32-to-ntfs-without.html but I would be inclined to have made a backup of the files that are on the ext drive first 'just in case'.

Graphicool1 16:16 PM 25 Sep 11

Take a look...HERE

Autoschediastic 16:18 PM 25 Sep 11

lotvic hi many thanks! whats concerning me is the reply to the suggestion on that link uve posted look below & see :-( Thanks so much

Graphicool1 16:24 PM 25 Sep 11

Autoschediastic

That guy obviously didn't follow the golden rule and 'Back Up' first.

Woolwell 16:32 PM 25 Sep 11

Please tell me that you have copies of these files somewhere else too. One place isn't sufficient.

lotvic 16:34 PM 25 Sep 11

Ouch, you're right, didn't work for someone and they lost all their data :(

If it was me, I would buy another spare HDD (internal or ext) so that I had room to move data to and to serve as another backup of files.

Autoschediastic 16:45 PM 25 Sep 11

Graphicool1 thanks for your link! im just getting it started but have a small issue, When i am prompted on the Command Prompt to "Enter current volume label for drive" my External is drive F: so what is it i put in command prompt? see pic pls

SEE PIC HERE

Autoschediastic 16:46 PM 25 Sep 11

woolwell no! ive got two 1tb drives and they are both almost full :-(

Woolwell 16:49 PM 25 Sep 11

If you have files that you do not want to lose then before going any further I would do as lotvic says buy another drive or keep on pc. You run the risk of losing them.

woody 16:51 PM 25 Sep 11

Do not do anything till you have made back ups!

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 now: how to download and install Windows 10 even if GWX.exe is missing

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Nokia rolls out spherical camera for virtual reality apps

7 best iPhone web browser apps: Why Safari for iOS is still a better option than Chrome, Dolphin,…