File is too large for the destination file system (External HD)

Autoschediastic 16:00 PM 25 Sep 11

Hiya, i have a 1TB external Hard drive & i am about to format this pc, ive got 200 gig of files which i need to keep and transfer to my External which is formatted in FAT32 so when i try to transfer a file bigger then 4 gig i get the old message "File is too large for the destination file system" now ive got 300 gig of files already on the External drive and i cant move them off it, ive heard there is a way to convert the external from FAT32 to NTFS without deleting ANY files, does anyone know how this is done please? im running on Windows 7 (64) Thanks

lotvic 16:15 PM 25 Sep 11

This might help but I would be inclined to have made a backup of the files that are on the ext drive first 'just in case'.

Graphicool1 16:16 PM 25 Sep 11

Take a look...HERE

Autoschediastic 16:18 PM 25 Sep 11

lotvic hi many thanks! whats concerning me is the reply to the suggestion on that link uve posted look below & see :-( Thanks so much

Graphicool1 16:24 PM 25 Sep 11

That guy obviously didn't follow the golden rule and 'Back Up' first.

Woolwell 16:32 PM 25 Sep 11

Please tell me that you have copies of these files somewhere else too. One place isn't sufficient.

lotvic 16:34 PM 25 Sep 11

Ouch, you're right, didn't work for someone and they lost all their data :(

If it was me, I would buy another spare HDD (internal or ext) so that I had room to move data to and to serve as another backup of files.

Autoschediastic 16:45 PM 25 Sep 11

Graphicool1 thanks for your link! im just getting it started but have a small issue, When i am prompted on the Command Prompt to "Enter current volume label for drive" my External is drive F: so what is it i put in command prompt? see pic pls

Autoschediastic 16:46 PM 25 Sep 11

woolwell no! ive got two 1tb drives and they are both almost full :-(

Woolwell 16:49 PM 25 Sep 11

If you have files that you do not want to lose then before going any further I would do as lotvic says buy another drive or keep on pc. You run the risk of losing them.

woody 16:51 PM 25 Sep 11

Do not do anything till you have made back ups!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Rugby World Cup 2015 online: Watch live, catch up on-demand & stream the 2015 Rugby…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to watch Adobe Max 2015: See Adobe unveil new Creative Cloud features for Photoshop,…

Live Photo tips: How to take Live Photos on the iPhone 6s, how to view, share, edit and find Live…