File system - should I change it?

Granger 23:07 02 Jun 03

My new laptop (WinXP Pro) came with FAT32. Is this normal? My slightly older PC (same OS) came as NTFS, which I read is much better. Should I change it? I read somewhere that you really should format a drive with the file system you want, but you should change it anyway to NTFS. What do you think? Should I question why the laptop is FAT32?

VoG™ 23:14 02 Jun 03

NTFS is supposed to be more secure. You can change click here

Granger 23:41 02 Jun 03

Thanks, VoG. This makes it sound quite wierd to sell a system with FAT32. Why would they do it?

Ironman556 23:42 02 Jun 03

XP gives you the choice of format, it depends on what the manufacturer decided to put on. VoG's link should tell you everything you need to know.

The main points you'll need to consider are:

You can convert FAT32 to NTFS, but cannot convert NTFS to FAT32 without a full reformat.

FAT32 can't see NTFS drives, but NTFS can see other NTFS and FAT32 drives. - could be useful if you want to connect PC & laptop up.

Ironman556 23:45 02 Jun 03

I was typing when you replied.

I assume the main reason to sell a laptop/pc with Fat32 is that if one has Fat32 and the new one NTFS, if you connect them the Fat32 system can't read the NTFS system, but it's easy enough to convert to NTFS if you're older system is using it.

Granger 13:30 03 Jun 03

Thanks for the responses - this is weird cos I've been sharing files & folders. I've been viewing files on the NTFS system from the FAT32 system.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac