File system errors reported

hugh-265156 18:19 17 Mar 05

Hi folks,I have windows xp home sp2 and I run a hard drive diagnostic tool and or chkdsk every so often just to be on the safe side. Normally everything is reported as healthy.

Today I ran an online file system test from seagate and got the following error reported click here I have ran a full chkdsk on both drives and it didnt report any errors or bad sectors etc. when running a file system check after this the result is still the same.

Running a quick surface scan of both drives says they are healthy click here

I have also downloaded and run a full check of both drives with seagates desktop version from a floppy and also using ontracks data advisor tool (what fun ZZzzzzz) both report the smart status and drives to be healthy but show errors in the file system of both drives.

does anybody know what this means and if so how do I fix it please? Thank you.

Technotiger 20:01 17 Mar 05

Hi, file system errors - I would think that a System Restore back to an earlier date would probably sort this.

Cheers.

hugh-265156 00:20 18 Mar 05

Thanks Technotiger I dont think system restore will fix file system errors on the disk, this should be chkdsk job surely, no? it doesnt seem find any problems though.

Completealias 12:07 18 Mar 05

Have you ticked both the boxes in chkdsk and run it? Ones find file system errors and the other is scan for bad sectors.

Let that run through and then check with your other tools again

Technotiger 12:50 18 Mar 05

You may well be correct, but surely worth a try anyway, only takes seconds.

Cheers.

hugh-265156 13:58 18 Mar 05

Technotiger thanks again it was worth a try but unfortunatly as I thought, system restore didnt help. I tried three different restore points going as far back as last month.

Thanks Completealias, I have indeed tried ticking both boxes and restarting to run a full chkdsk scan with the main drive, this found no errors. My back up drive is the same, chkdsk reports all is well with it too.

I have also swapped out my ide cable for another that I know to be good with the same file system error reported for both disks when I run a disk diagnostic test afterwards, no errors found for a full surface scan but errors reported in the file system on both disks. Both drives are NTFS.

My computer runs great and has not been giving me any problems at all. Event viewer shows no errors and XP disk management shows both disks as healthy.

Any more ideas please? ta.

Technotiger 16:31 18 Mar 05

Me again - as your pc runs great with no problems at all, why not just ignore the 'fault'?
If it aint broke, don't fix it.
You may be bashing your head against a brick wall for no reason.

Cheers.

hugh-265156 00:23 19 Mar 05

well you are of course correct Technotiger but I'm a bit of a control freak when it comes to my computer lol so cant let this problem get the better of me I'm afraid. :-)

Just to add to my above, I downloaded powerMAX from Maxtor earlier this evening and run a full scan on both disks, this tool gave them both a clean bill of health after i run all the various checks but unfortunately this utility did not include a file system check.

'file system check error' do i translate this to read 'there is a problem with your NTFS somewhere pal'? thats what I'm reading it as.

I'm thinking i can rule out ide or motherboard drivers or software as the problem because they wouldn't affect the floppy disk run Seagate and on track file system checks result as they wont be loaded when run this way.

its not going to beat me :-)

JonnyTub 00:53 19 Mar 05

"some files are open on the volume. This may affect the accuracy of the file system check and result in some errors."

I think therein lies your answer, i've just ran the same tool and got the exact same response on 2 machines, one with 2 identical 4 day old hard drives in.

Draw your own conclusions.....

Regards

JT :-)

Completealias 00:54 19 Mar 05

Think you've established that theres not a physical problem with the drive eg bad sectors as all your other checks have come back ok.

I would read a file system error as an error in the way your pc is storing the info on the drive and not a problem with the drive itself

Completealias 00:56 19 Mar 05

That is the other solution of course that there is no problem with your drive and indeed the problem lies with the piece of software you have been using

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…