File system error (1148)

M.Pash 16:43 02 Jan 06

Hello,
I recently brought a usb pen to save and transfer data between two personal computers, a laptop with o/s 2000 and a computer on XP. A couple of days ago i tried to move music files from my computer to my laptop. I did this through the 'syncronising' option on Windows Media Player- as you would if you were putting music file onto an MP3 player- i believe this is where the error has occured from. The syncronise was successful, yet on trying to open and save some of the music files on my laptop it seemed that some of the files had developed some sort of corruption and when opening one of these 'corrupted' files in 'My Computer' i get almost 200 folders inside, all identical, and all named '00000000.000'. When opening one of the '00000000.000' files there is nothing in them. I have tryed to delete these 'corrupt' files but am greeted with a new window which looks as though it is deleting the file, saying "preparing to delete" and after 3 minutes or so of nothing happening a window appears saying "could not delete file - file system error (1148)."
I have attempted to format the disk, this has also failed.
I would be very grateful to anybody with the computer skills who can help me delete this file.

Thankyou, Mark.

Chegs ®™ 17:15 02 Jan 06

click here

If you still stuck,try typing "file system error (1148)" for other suggestions.

Chegs ®™ 17:15 02 Jan 06

Into click here :-))

M.Pash 20:08 02 Jan 06

Not being very computer savvy this really didn`t make much sence.Is there possibly an easier way too sort it out that a comouter idiot like myself can do ! help appreciated

Chegs ®™ 20:47 02 Jan 06

Is the USB drive given a drive-letter by the OS? If so,you could try deleting the files from the Recovery Console by

C:\Windows> del (drive-letter) :\folder name (return).

M.Pash 12:30 03 Jan 06

Thankyou Cheg that command prompt was easier for me to understand:) yet on the command prompt window, after typing in the relevant command that you gave me and pressing 'enter' it asks me whether I am sure i wish to delete it or not, I have been typing the letter 'Y' and pressing 'enter' again. I am then given a new line 'c:\>' and nothing is being deleted. Am I doing this wrong still?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now