File system changed on its own in XP

paranomia 17:23 08 Sep 04

Hi all - our lad has had problems with his laptop following the installation of a program of dubious origin... I am tempted to say serves him right, however... The machine has slowed down dramatically. Nothing untoward appears to be running but on cleaning up the hard drive I noticed that it has changed from NTFS to the old FAT32 filing system. Is he likely to lose everything if he converts it back to NTFS? Any help appreciated!

howard60 17:26 08 Sep 04

assuming that it has xp as its operating system try system restore to go back to before the problem showed itself.

paranomia 17:49 08 Sep 04

thanks howard60 - I did try restoring but the file system stayed as FAT32... Think he may have really done it this time!!

VoG II 17:53 08 Sep 04

It is supposed to be impossible to convert from NTFS to FAT32 without formatting. Are you sure it has ever been converted to NTFS?

How to convert to NTFS click here

There should be no problem in doing this but as ever back up anything really important first.

paranomia 19:35 08 Sep 04

Thanks VoG™ - It was the first thing he did when he got the laptop last year. Is it possible that defrag is misreporting the file system and it is in fact still NTFS? Curiouser and curiouser...

VoG II 20:13 08 Sep 04

In My Computer, right click the drive and select Properties. What file system does it state on the General tab?

paranomia 20:21 08 Sep 04

Hmmm... FAT32, not what I expected. I am seriously tempted to do a quick backup (as quick as 40 gig can be!) and reinstall everything.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…