//some 3rd party need geo

file system

flaz1984 16:47 19 Aug 03

hi, i was wondering if anyone kno's how to change the type of file system that my hard drive is, as i am currently using FAT, and would like to change that to NTFS so that i can have files which are bigger than 4gb.

i am using windows xp on my computer

cheers

AndySD 16:54 19 Aug 03

Go Start then All Programs then Accessories and click on command prompt. Type in

convert c: /fs:ntfs

and hit enter. (if C is the drive you want to convert)

flaz1984 16:55 19 Aug 03

will i lose all of the files that are on my pc?

alcudia 16:59 19 Aug 03

You must have XP Professional. if you have click Start\Run and type cmd and click ok. At the command prompt type CONVERT drive letter: /FS:NTFS You will probably get a series of messages telling you first that the drive is in use. Choose to convert at the next restart. You may get other messages relating to the volume etc. I usually say yes to all.
Hope all goes well. I have had minor problems with some apps after running this, but nothing major.

.dave 16:59 19 Aug 03

No, the convert process keeps everything intact

AndySD 16:59 19 Aug 03

No this kind of conversion keeps your files intact.

alcudia 17:00 19 Aug 03

Sorry AndySD, you were a bit quicker off the mark than me.

flaz1984 17:04 19 Aug 03

ive just typed that in, then it says " The type of file system is FAT32. Enter current volume label for drive C:"

what should i do next?

.dave 17:16 19 Aug 03

Type what you have called your C drive. If you haven't named it then leave it blank

alcudia 08:21 20 Aug 03

Sorry, by the time you posted your request I was on my way home. I did say you would get a message about the volume. .dave is right, but you could have just said yes and it would have worked. Hope all went ok.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…