file size confusion

bruno 07:43 22 Jun 05

I have a language course and it is on 8 CD's.I am trying to reduce it to as few discs as possible,hopefully one.I have successfully put them on one MP3 disc only to find that my dual player is not working on the MP3 side.Each CD holds an average of 55Mb,and the overall total is 447Mb.When I try to burn a disc it loads up one and a half CD's and then tells me I have run out of space.Any ideas why would be welcome.(I will get your answers after lunch,I hope)!!!

webber_man 08:00 22 Jun 05

Without knowing the in's n out's i can't say for sure, but it sounds like there is some kind of copy protection on the disks - making them bigger when you try to copy. Football Manager uses this method - about 650mb on the disc but when you copy there isn't enough space.

I'm neither sure how this works or how to get around it! Sorry.

But hopefully i'm wrong and some other helpful chap or chapess can shed some light.

Diodorus Siculus 08:05 22 Jun 05

Sounds more like you are burning the files as audio and so there is a limit to the time that will fit onto a disk - generally about 80mins.

If you burn as data, they will all fit on without any problem and should still play on a PC. I am not sure about standard DVD player though.

bruno 17:40 22 Jun 05

Diodorus Siculus.
I think you have hit the nail on the head,as these lessons are split into 8 CD's in one hour lessons.I did intend to use them on my little portable CD player in the garden during this sunny spell,but as I said that half of the player does not always recognise the MP3.Occasionally it does.I may have to buy another one,or carry on taking 8 discs along with me.
Thank you both for your help.
I started off putting it onto a data Cd until it warned me that you cannot use these on all appliances,so I did not bother after that.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…