File Size

dogbreath1 22:22 05 Aug 05

I've been searching for various folders filed under 'My Documents' using file size as a search criteria. Unfortunately, I cannot get the relevent folders (even when viewed as 'details') to display their size. Can anyone please explain how I can encourage XP to display folder size.

VoG II 22:32 05 Aug 05

View | Choose Details, tick Size.

LastChip 22:35 05 Aug 05

Click on View; and select Details.

Then, if you want all your files to be in the same format, go to Tools; Folder Options; View; and select "Apply to all Folders".

dogbreath1 10:46 06 Aug 05

Thanks for the response. I'd already chosen to 'view' as 'details' and the column for 'size' was already present...but empty. I've just noticed that although I wrote the first post to this thread referring to folders, which is correct, it was titled 'File Size' which is an error. It is indeed folders that I need to see the size of without having to hover the cursor over the folder. Any more ideas guys?

mattyc_92 10:57 06 Aug 05

Right-Click the folder, select "Properties". On the tab that is opened by default, you will see how much space it has used up.

Or have I mis-read the problem?

dogbreath1 11:16 06 Aug 05

Thanks for that. The objective is to display all folders in 'my music' in tabular form (the 'details' option has been chosen to achieve that), and to have a column (which I have enabled) display each folder size without the need to hover a cursor over each individual folder or right click and choose 'properties'. Essentially, I need to scan down a list of approx. 1000 folders containing approx. 6000 files (o.a. size around 30GB) to view each individual folder size. My problem is that the 'size' column is present but contains no data.

mattyc_92 11:18 06 Aug 05

Hold down "Ctrl" while clicking onto the folders you wish to choose (the subfolders are included, so you only have to do this to the parent folders). DON'T LET GO OF CTRL until you have selected all the parent folders.

Now just do the right-click thing again.

Does that help?

pj123 11:20 06 Aug 05

Download Powerdesk 5 from the Forum download page and use that instead of Windows Explorer. The status bar along the bottom will give you all that info.

click here

I never use Win Explorer anymore.

bremner 11:23 06 Aug 05

A folder has a size of 0 bytes.

Windows does not have the ability to automatically display the cumulative size of the files held within a folder.

This can only be acheived manually by the methods described above -

dogbreath1 11:30 06 Aug 05

Thanks again for the advice, but it doesn't work.

dogbreath1 11:32 06 Aug 05

Cheers. That would explain what I am finding! It also makes pj123s' idea look very useful.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…