File Shredder

panhandle 13:52 17 Jun 10

I have been using this freeware without problems until now. I am getting a message "cannot shred files because they are in use".
Can anyone shed any light on this - the files are not in use, I have just right-clicked and "sent to file shredder" from the context menu.
Thanks.

rawprawn 17:05 17 Jun 10

Which File Shredder?there are dozens.

johndrew 18:51 17 Jun 10

If the document/file you are trying to shred is open (being read/on the screen) the shredding software (depending on the software used) can`t delete it. You probably need to ensure that the document/file is closed and browse for it to shed it using the shredder itself.

panhandle 23:06 17 Jun 10

the one i am using is as link below.
However, the files/folders - and i have tried many - they are NOT open when io try to delete..
More help appreciated!
click here
I have had a power cut recently - I am in Cyprus and the electricity is CRAP! - and lost most of my data, my main backup on an exernal HDD was corrupt.had to purchase "systools bkf repair" which worked a treat.
However I need to sdelete the useless files/documenrsand load the recovered files.

Kevscar1 06:20 18 Jun 10

Have you checked the files to make sure they are not read only. Had this problem before and I had to untick each one before I could delete them. Sometimes unticking the folder/subfolders does not workand you have to do each file seperatly.

rawprawn 07:13 18 Jun 10

Try to shred them in Safe Mode.

panhandle 08:35 18 Jun 10

Makes no difference. Also they are not "read only". I have uninstalled & re-installed so - can anyone reccommend another good "shredding" programme please? There are a lot around as rawprawn says.
Thanks.

rawprawn 09:24 18 Jun 10

Eraser, click here

rawprawn 09:26 18 Jun 10

If Eraser won't shred them you may want to try Unlocker click here

panhandle 08:20 19 Jun 10

problem solved with Eraser. Cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…