File sharing XP Pro

raeman 20:51 28 Nov 05

Having trouble sharing files and printer on Laptop with XP pro can see it ok in my network places and it can see other computers on network but get message saying computer not accesible you might not have permission etc .Other 2 computers on network quite happily share files and printer(one XP home one Win ME) no firewalls turned on, file sharing turned on ok even checked registry setting restrictanonymous as mentioned in previous thread all ok anyone got any more ideas.

mgmcc 20:58 28 Nov 05

Have a look at this page relating to client PC access when the host PC is running XP Professional - click here

raeman 21:44 28 Nov 05

Thanks for the link mgmcc but still no joy have borrowed another laptop with XP pro to try it seems ok so looking to see what's different 2 things so far laptop that isn't working is an ACER with hard drive formatted for FAT32 as seems to be ACERs wont don't know if this is significant but think it is for sharing , also noticed above registry setting restrictanonymous there is one called everyoneincludesanonymous which is set to 1 on machine that doesn't work and set to 0 on other XP machines anyone know what this is ,a bit wary about changing the registry.

mgmcc 00:23 29 Nov 05

<<< laptop that isn't working is an ACER with hard drive formatted for FAT32 >>>

Having XP installed in a FAT32 partition should actually make network access easier because it doesn't support the security features that require NTFS. It won't create a problem.

<<< there is one called everyoneincludesanonymous which is set to 1 on machine that doesn't work and set to 0 >>>

That one is certainly set to "0" in my copy of XP Pro, which is installed in a FAT32 partition. However, I don't have any additional User Accounts set up, there is only my own Account with Admin rights. Just checked in my XP Home PC, which is NTFS, and it is also set to "0". I would be inclined to try setting it to zero and, if it doesn't solve the problem, change it back.

magicwand 09:01 26 Dec 05

Problem sharing drives on PC with XP pro can see it in my network places and it can see other computer and laptop on network also can access them.All the 3 can share connection.

But other computer and laptop get message saying computer(PC) not accesible you might not have permission etc.

Laptop and other computer on network share drives and printer(PC XP pro and laptop XP pro) firewalls turned on with file and printer sharing enabled.

Please help to solve problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…