File sharing on wireless nwk with XP and Vista

Nikolai 22:29 22 Nov 07

I have a functioning wireless network linking a Vista laptop with an XP desktop pc. From my laptop I can "see" and access the public files on my pc. But on the pc, although I can see the laptop documents file, I get an access denied message when I click on it. According to the Share settings on the laptop, the file can be read by Anyone :-)

BurrWalnut 15:18 23 Nov 07

You have to make Everyone, not Anyone, appear in the Security Tab, viz. In Computer, go to the drive or folder, right-click it > Properties > Security Tab > Edit > Add then type ‘Everyone’ (not the quotes) and below it select your preferences, e.g. Read or Full Control. Now Apply, OK etc. to finish.

If it’s still not sharing, make sure in Control Panel > Network and Sharing Center you have Password Protected Sharing ticked as ‘off’. Also, make sure Network Discovery and File Sharing are both ‘on’.

Nikolai 01:50 24 Nov 07

Thanks BurrWalnut. Actually what you proposed did not work, but it lead me finally to a solution. The reason that it did not work is that the features which you refer to are not available when I select the Security Tab. In particular there is no option to "Edit". You can only "Add" and then it is only to groups and users who are using the laptop.
However, on the toolbar there is a "Share" option and there you can add other users besides those that are on your laptop. There I added "Everyone" which was automatically interepreted as "Readers". And now, FINALLY, I can see and access the files on my laptop from my pc. So, yes, you did help and I am most grateful. To think that neither the MS Networking User Group nor Acer tech support could figure out the problem!!

BurrWalnut 08:40 24 Nov 07

I was referring to allowing 'Everyone' on the Vista machine but it doesn't matter as you've sorted it out. Well done.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…