file sharing problem

Newuser1970 20:41 07 Nov 05

I have the following setup: 2 PCs connected via a wired router and a laptop wirelessly connected via a wireless access point to the router. All have Windows XP Pro. They all share the internet without problems. However, I am having limited success sharing files.All have been given permissions and have different names and the same workgroup. The host PC can see the others and open files. The other 2 cannot see the host. However, using 'search' in the workgroup folder all 3 find the host which states that it is in the workgroup folder although it cannot be found there (not a hidden file). On clicking the host icon (after search)it opens in the host but not in the other 2. Any suggestions please.

mgmcc 08:43 08 Nov 05

Have you configured any firewall software to allow access to the networked computers in its "trusted" area?

Newuser1970 15:01 10 Nov 05

Sorry about the delay in getting back to you. The only thing that I have done with the Windows firewalls is to turn them off.

mgmcc 22:53 10 Nov 05

It may be necessary to be logged in to all computers with the same Username/Password, or at least have Accounts set up in each PC with a common Username/Password per this article - click here

Also, if you are comfortable accessing and editing the registry, navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\ Lsa

look for a DWORD "restrictanonymous" and see what the value is. If it is anything other than 0 (zero), right click the DWORD, select MODIFY and change the decimal value to 0 (zero).

A word of warning, there is a DWORD "restictanonymoussam" just below the one you want - DO NOT change this.

Close regedit and reboot the computer.

Newuser1970 20:03 15 Nov 05

Many thanks for all your help. The registry changes have done the trick and I am now able to open the hosts files in the laptop.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…