File Sharing via a BT Voyager 2091 Router

tonykempster 15:52 29 May 06

I have successfully installed a BT Voyager 2091 router so that my 3 PCs can connect to the internet - one through internet, one through USB and one wireless.

What I want to do now is network the one connected by ethernet and the one connected by wireless so that I can share files and printers on these two machines.

How do I do it?

ade.h 17:18 29 May 06

Your router makes no difference. It's quite a simple process:

1) Switch on all clients. Log in to the admin account on each.

2) Run the Network Setup Wizard (not the wireless one) on every client in turn, applying common settings to each (ensure that your workgroup name is precisely the same). Choose to enable file and printer sharing.

3) Configure each client's firewall to allow two-way (or one-way if you want to keep certain clients private) access over the LAN (using each adapter's IP range). Ensure that these protocols go into the trusted zone. If you have a decent client firewall, it should flag up the new network communication when it first occurs and ask for a rule to be created. For this reason, it is a good idea to have each client attended during setup.

4) On the printer host, open Printers and Faxes, r-click your default printer and choose to make it shareable.

5) On all other clients, enter Printers and Faxes, choose Add a Printer and run through the simple wizard, choosing to use a network printer and browsing to its network location.

Job done. Now, all you need to do is create some shares on each client.

ade.h 17:18 29 May 06

Re: step 2. Do not choose to use a setup disk; choose to run the wizard yourself on the other clients.

tonykempster 18:51 29 May 06

Ade.H

Thanks for the reply but that is what I have done already.

It seems that the Voyager 2091 is acting purely as a distributor of Internet access and not as a network hub. Is this possible and if so, is there a work round?

ade.h 18:54 29 May 06

I don't use Voyagers, so I wouldn't know. It does seem to me from what I read that they are a little unconventional in some respects, but I see no reason whatsoever why it should prevent the use of a workgroup. Other Voyager owners use workgroups successfully.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…