file sharing

chapeau 21:02 03 Nov 07

File and Printer sharing.

My desktop machine (DT) runs XP Home, my laptop (LT) runs XP Pro. Interconnection between them sets up promptly using the Network Wizard, and Internet Connection Sharing is no problem.
But File and Printer sharing is, on both machines the required folders have been set to Share, as has the printer. Simple File Sharing is set on the LT XP Pro machine. I have also tried switching it off.

On the DT machine moving down through My Network Places gets me to MSHOME and two folders, one for my DT machine which when opened shows all the folders I have set up for sharing. The other folder is correctly labelled for my LT machine. When I try to open it nothing happens for a while. The it produces the following message.
‘ \\Jimslaptop is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource . Contact the Administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. The network path was not found. ‘

On the LT machine working down through My Network Places it slowly gets to Microsoft Windows Network. It sticks there for a while and Task Master shows My Network Places as not responding. This clears and the following message appears .

‘MSHOME is not acessible. You might not have permission to use the network resource. Contact the Administrator to find out if you have the access permissions. The list of servers is not currently available. ‘

The network consists only of the two machines DT (which has the internet connection) and the LT machine. I am the sole user and have Administrator rights on both machines.

Please what have I done wrong ? How do I get it right ? I have spent a month now chasing around websites and reading manuals. And to be frank am now hopelessly confused about Shares and Permissions etc Please someone sort me out or tell me I am trying to do the impossible.

woodchip 21:09 03 Nov 07

You have to have all Computers and Printers Switched on when you use the network Setup Wisard, then create a floppy when it asks you to. You use this in the other computer by loading it and double click on the one file on the floppy. After that you can use Sharing

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:11 03 Nov 07

The only thing youhaven't mentioned is Firewalls

Is the two firewalls set to allow both in and out from / to both machines?

Jollyjohn 21:11 03 Nov 07

Hi
What firewall are you using? This could be blocking the connection.

chapeau 21:50 03 Nov 07

thanks for the responses but
1. I remember producing a floppy to aid N/W set up when connecting some time ago, but my LT like most of them these days does not have a floppy drive, is there an alternative ? USB Key.

2Firewalls both machines have M/s Firewalls, I have tried switching them both off. the laptop also has Norton FW but it is switched off.

Keep the replies coming

woodchip 15:00 04 Nov 07

you could try a key

chapeau 15:39 05 Nov 07

Thank you all.
Firstly to Woodchip it had never occurred to me to use a USB key as an alternative to a 3.5 disc, You can and in fact the N/W Wizard automatically offers this as an option. Nice to Know and to note down
Secondly Firewalls, My DT relies on the standard M/S offering, My LT also uses The standard M/S offering, but also came with the trial offer of the Norton/Symantec Norton Internet Security 2006. This kept telling me it was not on and recommending itself, but I rejected it. Anyway it seems to have got itself on and was causing trouble. I have tried setting it up, Networking Tab, but it sometimes works and then it doesn't, Still spme rough edges but at least i have some networking going. Thank you all.

woodchip 17:54 05 Nov 07

Glad it worked. Can you tick the Resolved box please

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…