File shareing Win98SE Vista

agrielectrics 17:12 03 Jul 07

i am trying to network 3 pcs 2 using win 98se and a newish one on vista

Ihave a belkin wireless adsl/router with also 4 ethernet sockets

I have a multitude of problems but firstly I have set up the vista machine in router port 1 and wired machine 2 to port 2 of the router

Both machines work simultaniously on the demon internet broadband however the machines won't share files

the vista machine can not see the win98 machine at all, file shareing is set (i think)

the win98 machine can see the vista one but cannot find it ie on the workgrups list but will not connect,file shareing is set up for access to drives c and d full access on win 98 and can be seen in the workgroups file.

Any help please before i even attempt the wireless 3rd machine

cheers
kelvin

mgmcc 17:46 03 Jul 07

You will probably not be able to access the Vista PC from Windows 98SE, but should be able to work the other way round.

In 98SE, right click "Network Neighborhood" and select Properties. You will see a button marked File & Printer Sharing. Click that and ensure you have one or both boxes ticked, as appropriate. Presumably you have "shared" any folders you want to have available over the network? It is generally recommended not to share an entire drive.

Any firewall software needs to be configured to allow access to the networked computers, which may involve adding their IP addresses in a "trusted" section.

uesquebeathus 17:57 03 Jul 07

to simplify network set up try Network magic download a 30day trial from here:
click here , it does it all for you, they also have a superb support knowledge base which suggests that most likely this could be your problem

For proper networking with Windows 98SE and Windows ME you must log in with a user name and password when starting up the computer, instead of clicking cancel or pressing the ESC key when prompted for a user name and password.

When you restart Microsoft Windows 98SE or Windows ME, type a username and password at the log in dialog box. If the user name and password do not match an existing account, Windows will create an account for you.

if you do not have a user account it will not work

agrielectrics 12:45 04 Jul 07

most helpful-thank you-i will have a go tomorrow when i have some time

primarily i want to access win 98 from vista in partiular old files of picture, word files,electronic point of sale, accounts software-also my printers that don't have vista drivers

curently only one of the 3 win 98 machines asks for password

i will let you know how i got on

cheers

kelvin

agrielectrics 16:59 05 Jul 07

mgmcc
sorry this didn't work- i think it was the firewall giving the grief

uesquebeathus
thanks this seems to have worked in general-a few tweeks needed

next will be the wireless connection-it should in theory be easy with network magic

I can access files both ways but obviously better using vista as the main pc as its slow the other way

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5