file shareing: is it very risky?

Baslla321 10:03 12 Mar 05

Lately my daughter has been pushing me to join a file shareing peer to peer network called 'emule' and after checking it out it says that they do not have any spyware and all files are checked for viruses and malware. I am still not convinced and afrsid that I will be exposing my computer and asking for trouble. Does anyone have this file shareing please and what is your opinion. Thanks.

GANDALF <|:-)> 10:05 12 Mar 05

In file sharing you give access and permission for ANY file to be downloaded on your computer. Most file sharing is the downloading of copyright material which is illegal. You may do the math.

Baslla321 10:15 12 Mar 05

OH ! I really did not know that it was illegal. Thanks.

dogbreath1 10:29 12 Mar 05

GANDALF. That's just not right. In Bearshare and Limewire you can stipulate from what folders files can be downloaded. I use a folder named 'shared files' to limit what others can access. On a side note, this file should be kept relatively small, since although filesharing is what it's all about, a large share file utilises a lot of p.c. resources until the application 'settles down'. On the issue of spyware etc., I've still not seen any evidence of problems in Limewire, though some p2p applications are to be avoided such as Kazaa. But, as you quite rightly say, it is illegal to u/l and d/l copyright material. If you chose the right program, math doesn't come into it... but the legal issue does in every case.

Baslla321 10:36 12 Mar 05

sorry but what is the meaning of math please?

Forum Editor 10:45 12 Mar 05

which, as I'm sure you know, is the science of spatial and quantitative relations.

JayDay 10:53 12 Mar 05

GANDALF <|:-)> means he's given you the info, work out the answer.

Yes it is risky. Most of the stuff downloaded is illegal (not all though). Also much of the stuff is infected with viruses.

TomJerry 11:02 12 Mar 05

Suppose, just suppose, your daughter download a lot of copyrighted music files using file sharing, it is very easy for police to track you down, this is what happen in many cases

actually, about 30 people (or parents) have been pursued recently in the UK and out court settlement up to £4500.

so do not over do it even it is vert tempting

GANDALF <|:-)> 11:06 12 Mar 05

It's an American expression and a demonstration of their singular ability to make a multiple noun singular ;-)

GANDALF <|:-)> 11:11 12 Mar 05

'In Bearshare and Limewire you can stipulate from what folders files can be downloaded. I use a folder named 'shared files' to limit what others can access'...but you have no idea of the contents until you have downloaded them. A shared folder is NOT a ring-fenced folder.

dogbreath1 11:14 12 Mar 05

Do you have an automatic 'file sharing' thread detector on you're p.c.?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…