file shairing over wireless adhoc network

rich549 10:03 17 Mar 05

hi,

ive recently created a wireless adhoc network using 2 D-link dwl-122 usb wifi adaptors where my win 2000 professional laptop connects to my XP-Home PC to share its internet connection, files and printer.

My problem is that my 2 computers are in the same workgroup, can see each other and can share the internet, but when i go to Network Places on my 2000 laptop and click on my PC's icon i get the following message -

\\Computer's Name is not accesible.

Logon Failure:The user has not been granted the requested logon type at this computer.

But if i click on my laptop's icon in Network Places on my xp pc then i can access its printers file and scheduled tasks, but not its shared c:\ drive. i am also unable to access the printer on my pc from my laptop and i think this is due to the same problem.

can anyone tell me what i have done wrong with my network or how to solve this.

thanks

spikeychris 11:47 17 Mar 05

If your system was XP Pro then you would just use
Admin Tools - Local Security Settings - Local Policies and add Users or Groups but your not so you can't. However click here

FelixTCat 14:52 17 Mar 05

Check your firewalls carefully to make sure that you are not blocking access. For example, if our XP pc has the IP address 192.168.0.1 and the laptop 192.168.0.2, your laptop's firewall must allow traffic to and from 192.168.0.1 and your XP pc traffic to and from 192.168.0.2

rich549 16:38 17 Mar 05

ok i tried the article that Spikeychris suggested and all its done is changed the message i get to:

\\Computer's Name is not accesible.

Access is denied.

and in response to FelixTCat ive only got a firewall on my win 2000 prof laptop and its set to allow the ip address and the network, but thanks anyway.

thanks for all ya help but do ya know what i can try now im gettin this slightly different message lol.

FelixTCat 17:02 17 Mar 05

Have you given the pcs different names, but the same workgroup name?

rich549 18:06 17 Mar 05

yea ive got it to file and printer share finally lol i think it was by sheer luck lol, the new problem its giving me is that its now telling me that my username and password is incorrect when i click on my pc's icon in Network Places and it wont accept the username and password im using on my laptop.

thanks for everyones help

FelixTCat 19:10 17 Mar 05

It sounds as though you need to set up a new account on the pc. Try using the same log-in and password as the laptop. If that doesn't work, you may have to use and remember a separate log-in for shares.

rich549 20:52 17 Mar 05

now dont i just feel stupid!!

i followed your advice and when i went into user accounts on my xp machine i found that i had given the guest account a password and after removing this i can now browse my pc from my laptop, although i have to do it through adding areas of my pc to my network places manually lol.

Alls well that ends well!! lol

thanks for your help.

FelixTCat 23:16 17 Mar 05

It's As You Like It.

spikeychris 11:07 18 Mar 05

Glad you're sorted. The second error message you received does at times follow the procedure you followed in my first post. Although you have now fixed the problem by removing the guest password - mapping the drive would have been the next option.

Checking the reg key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\LSA

"RestrictAnonymous" is set to '0' can also be an advantage.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…