File Security

flanker 17:44 25 May 05

I want to find out if anyone thinks I should or could do more to secure a file in which I keep all my web passwords, secuiity questions & answers, online bank account codes, memorable dates etc etc. There are so many now that writing it all down in longhand would be a real chore, as well as problems in trying to read my writing, and whether it should be upper or lower case.

The file is kept on a floppy in a password-protected Lotus 123 spreadsheet. I have a BT Broadband connection and the free version of ZoneAlarm firewall. When I load the file from the floppy to work on it I make sure that, while it is in memory, broadband is disconnected - i.e. I have not gone through the Connect/Login procedure with BT Broadband.

After I have finished amending the spreadsheet file, I save it back to the floppy and close it. I then go to the C:\Windows\Recent folder and delete the file copy which is automatically stored there, then I delete that file from the Recycle bin. Then I do a Start/Find/Files or Folders check looking in WIN98_SE (C:) for the file name, omitting the file suffix (WK4) just in case a backup copy has been automatically saved with a different suffiix.

Can any of you experts think of a way they could access my file over the web, and if they can, how I could prevent it?.

mattyc_92 17:54 25 May 05

You don't need to do all of that, as what would be the chance of someone hacking into your system and searching for THAT file???

If you name is something non-obvious (e.g. My Template) a hacker wouldn't think of looking for it...

Also, you could put it into a ZIP file and password-protect that as well as the password protection from Lotus....

flanker 10:29 29 May 05

Thanks Mattyc_92. Yes, the file name is meaningless to anyone else. But I thought that a hacker, with the powerful search engines you can get now (e.g. From Google), might be able search the contents of every file on my hard disc looking for words like Bank, Memorable, Password etc, and in that way come across the file in question. That is why I do as much as I know how to to make sure that there is no copy of the file held on the hard disc, when I have stopped using it.
I have since found that the automatically stored file in the C:\Windows\Recent folder is in fact just a shortcut to the file, not the file itself, and so this points to A:\my filename. As long as I make sure to take the floppy out of the drive, I think I should be pretty safe. But I reckon you can never be 100% definite, as for example I have been told that there are ways that deleted data can often be recovered from a disk provided the disc has not been physically entirely destroyed, and I assume that this recovery process could be operated remotely by a hacker.
Perhaps I am just being paranoid. Anyway, I will takeup your suggestion of using a ZIP file
Many thanks

Dorsai 15:30 29 May 05

While I think your security measures are excessive...

Why not use a USB flash drive type thing...Portable, small, more capacity, faster, less likely to 'read error', in-expensisve....

Some, I believe, come with encryption software to protect the data you put on them.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…